Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Crash & The Constant Gardener ...

Finally I saw two movies which were in my priority list of 2005-movies…

CRASH:
An Excellent Movie! I was totally absorbed.
Multiple characters & each character is multi-faceted … and … multiple plots but they all are linked together. Few very moving scenes; as when the person shoots the kid … Well I cried! I am not very fond of Sandra Bullock and in this movie she seems to be copying Julia Roberts :(
I think this movie would be a serious contender to “Brokeback Mountains” for Best Film Oscars.
Director: Paul Haggis
Cast: Sandra Bullock, Brendan Fraser, Don Cheadle, Matt Dillon, Ludacris, Terrence Howard, Thanadi Newton ...

THE CONSTANT GARDENER:
Here comes a very good movie from the British stable!
It’s based on a novel by John Le Carre, by the same name.
A political thriller; set in Kenya; featuring a diplomat [Ralph Finnnes] and his political-activist wife [Rachel Weisz]
Wonder if the story is based on true events???
Reminded me of another movie: “Beyond Borders”; with Clive Owen & Angelina Jolie.

7 Comments:

At 09 February, 2006 21:17, Blogger jay-san said...

well, i kind of like sandra bullock.
funny, after i commented in the other post about the movie , i noticed that you have mentioned the same gunshot scene in this post!

best filem...i dunno..
but is it up for direction/screenplay?

have rented constant gardener..catching up on ya.

 
At 10 February, 2006 09:49, Blogger Intern said...

Well, that gunshot scene was very profound! I was absolutely in tears! Now I dont think guys would be crying, but if the eyes were not misty ... hmm ... well, what do I say?!!

Somehow I feel that movie was all about cliches; establishing the basis of it with an underlying message to look beyond it. But a very well made movie. Yes its nominated for
Best Motion Picture/ Director/ Screenplay ...

Though I dont have such good words for "The Constant Gardener". It's okay. In fact a very strong storyline, though not very well paced. Gives you enough space to lose interest. It gets better towards the end. Well it may make bigtime in BAFTA but not in Hollywood!

I donno why Rachael Weisz won Golden Globe for Best Actress? I didnt find her acting outstanding in any way. I was happy to see that she is NOT even nominated in the Best Actress category for Oscars! I think Reese Witherspoon deserves that award for "Walk the Line" ... which again is not a very good movie, especially when compared to Ray.

 
At 10 February, 2006 16:03, Blogger jay-san said...

i was going thru the nominations i received..
i think screenplay,song(did u notice that the soundtrack is gr8!) editing are decent bets.
but y did matt dillon get a nomination? i felt terrence howard was better.

 
At 10 February, 2006 18:01, Blogger Intern said...

Terrance Howard was excellent! Agreed!!!

 
At 10 February, 2006 18:52, Blogger jay-san said...

next movie on my list is hustle and flow..
saw constant gardener...fiennes was gr8..but as u said..the movie is a bit dragging...great visuals though.

 
At 10 February, 2006 18:56, Blogger jay-san said...

whoa..i just noticed that slight jab in the comment..what can i say, me not the teary eyed type.

 
At 10 February, 2006 19:09, Blogger Intern said...

jay-san,
Thats good,
I should get the review from you...
on hustle n flow

Yups. mez the teary eyes types ...
Honestly, I do cry in movies ...

I'm happy to have seen all the movies nominated from Best movie/direction... and best actor [only for hustle n flow]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home